Private Coaching & Tutoring
I have come away from my very broad and extensive experience teaching writing—10 years total experience at all levels, elementary through college—with the powerful conviction that anyone can learn to write with more confidence, authority, and a strong individual voice.
Of course, I would be lying if I said writing is easy. There are no nifty short cuts or magic bullets, but there are tried and true strategies that can be taught and mastered. The key is helping students find the ones that will work for them.
This holds true whether you want to take your creative writing practice to another level, seek to hone your professional writing skills, or simply need to write better in order to succeed in school.
Academic tutoring in writing and critical reading grade three through college.
- Standardized test preparation in critical reading, writing, and language for PSAT SAT and ACT and AP Composition and Literature, as well as exit exams for high school and college.
- Critical analysis of literature and poetry and writing the analytical essay, including making sense of literature and poetry, finding authentic meaning, understanding and using literary terms, approaches for quoting and providing evidence.
- All areas of composition, including the personal essay, the argumentative essay, essay structure, approaches to revision and more
- Language development at all levels, understanding and using figurative language, expanding your vocabulary, deploying sophisticated sentence structures, mastering grammar.
One-on-one coaching in creative writing–fiction, poetry, personal essays and memoir.
- Portfolio development for students interested in exploring their craft while working on pieces for potential publication, literary contests, or for application to special writing workshops and programs.
- A writing jump start for anyone who wants to begin or return to a creative writing practice, including personalized prompts, reading and analysis of current writers in a specific genre, feedback, and guidance on revision.
- Practicing the creative writing strategies—storytelling, metaphor, voice, rhythm—that can improve overall writing and language skills.
All coaching is charged at the rate of $75 per meeting hour. This charge includes any preparation of materials or review of student work that I do to support our work during that hour.
Contact me to schedule a free consultation or to get started.